Friday, July 17, 2009

Bowhunting

I started bowhunting in 1999 as a way to extend my deer hunting season and spend more time in the woods..

What I found was that I saw more deer than I did during the general season and that there were too many hunters in the woods shooting at who knows what. I felt unsafe so I stopped hunting the gun season on public lands for the most part.

Now bow-hunting is so much more to me then just a way to extend my time in the woods. It's a challenge to get close to the game animals and to see them up close (
I still haven't taken a animal). It can also be family time on the archery range or in the wood's shed hunting.

I prefer to hunt from a tree stand be it a lock on,climber or a ladder stand(always use your safety harness). I feel that hunting from a tree stand gives me a better view and keeps my scent above the deer. If I cant find a suitable tree on a well used trail then I will use a ground blind. I also use sent eliminating bath soap and spray as well as cover scents.

For me what I learn and the memories are more important the the harvest. I don't have to take the largest buck or bull or even get a shot. The harvest is a bonus that I share with my family and friends..

No comments:

Post a Comment